Thursday, August 2, 2007

Why or why not college Athletes should get paid

College athletes should not get paid not get paid no matter how much money there school makes from selling products that they somewhat promote. There would no longer be a distinction between an amateur and a professional athlete.

If allowed to pay their student-athletes than what would stop them from paying high school or even a middle school athlete. It would take away the real reason for attending the school in the first place and that is to be a student. Why would they need to work hard when they could just play and get the big pay check.

Being college athlete is supposed to be an experience of a lifetime that many people don’t get. It is a chance not to play for money, and not just a chance to play for you, but for your school and region. Once players come out of college and get drafted they are moved around from team to team and usually don’t get to play where they want to play.

All the big time college could sign anyone the wanted because they would be able to pay them whatever they wanted. Coaches would really no longer spend hours trying to get players they would just send them numbers and they bigger schools have the bigger numbers.

Would it be nice to get a pay check every week from playing a game that I love. Yes, I would love it but than what would be the point of trying to get a good grade in my classes? I wouldn’t take the same pride in my school as I do now. I am playing for myself to have a better collegiate experience.

No comments: